Sunday, February 8, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day

Last year, I shared my thoughts about Valentine's Day from a middle school perspective. This year, if I were to give a bad stuffed animal holding disgusting, cheap chocolate candies, I would give them to my television. I confess, I am in love with TV.

I used to have a love affair with movies. During college and before having kids, we would spend many nights at the cinema. We probably spent at least one night a week at the movies and were normally up to date with the movies that were up for awards. We had such a problem, that we even sunk as low as theater hopping--our most, 3 movies for the price of one. Now, we rarely go to the movies and if we do, it is either separately or to an animated movie with the boys and I don't think we have seen a single movie that is up for any awards.

In order to fill this void, I have resorted to a love affair with the tube. I love watching TV. I love sitting with my boys, one of them tucked under each arm, watching Ben 10: Alien Force or Star Wars: The Clone Wars. I love relaxing with Kristine and cheering on our favorite Survivor or analyzing whether we would dare do a challenge on the Amazing Race or trying to figure out what is going on during all of the flashbacks and flash-forwards on Lost.

I find it incredibly comforting to have a DVR that is full of shows that are just waiting to be watched. For example, I like watching Battlestar Galactica when I have two episodes to watch, because one just leaves me wanting more. But there are some shows, like Heroes or Friday Night Lights, that I need to watch the night that they air, because I just can't wait and I can't imagine why everyone doesn't feel the same.

I have an addiction. And for now, I am okay with it. This Valentine's Day, I declare that I am in love with my TV.

4 comments:

Jim & Marilyn said...

What Fuller isn't in love with TV? Your father and I are into, NCIS, House, Burn Notice. I am into Grays Anatomy and Private Practice, yes Jim watches, I think he likes them a lot too.
But, try to give that cute wife candy too.
Mom

Aimee & Brennen Fuller said...

Hey, this is BJ. I just wanted to say that I am excited that I am not the only person that watches Friday Night Lights. I think you are the only other person I've heard of that watches it! Go Panthers!

Coop said...

Love FNL even though I never grew up with American Football ... Heroes, bah ... It just does nothing for me anymore. I am still loving Lost though :) But 24 has to win outright! Seeing as my wife and I are on different sides of the world for Valentines, it will be TV for me :$

BloggingJake said...

I agree 100%!! Although sadly I must admit one time I came to school with a baloon and some candy for a girl. ha ha but we lasted a little longer than that, like 3 years off and on I think.
ps
it's so awesome that there's a teacher who likes heroes. I've been obsessed with that show for so long now