Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Gotta love the Constitution

For the past few weeks we have been studying the Constitution. It has been one of the best teaching experiences that I have had. For one of the culminating activities of the unit, I had the students create podcasts about the amendment that means the most to them. Check it out at my teaching website.

Perhaps it is the upcoming presidential election, but students are really getting into our discussions of our government. We are holding a mock primary election (one of the benefits of Oregon having such a late primary--it actually fits in) and the students have had quite a few good debates over some pretty serious issues. On Thursday of this week, Peter DeFazio is coming to visit with my students (he is our representative in the US House) and the kids can't wait to ask him some pretty great questions.

I know that I have previously stated my support for Barack Obama. I have tried to make sure that my students have no idea which candidate I prefer. But as I watch these young 13 and 14 year old students getting excited about participating in government, I can't help but give some of that credit to Obama. We have watched a few speeches from each of the candidates (through the beauty of YouTube) and have looked through their websites and you can see the excitement that has even extended to middle school students. Once again, I disagree with many of the policies that Obama supports; however, he is honestly inspiring previously disinterested generations to finally get involved in government. It is a beautiful thing!

No comments: