Thursday, October 16, 2008

Election Fatigue


Is anyone else completely exhausted of this election? Doesn't it seem like we have been discussing these same candidates and same issues for years? Oh wait, we have. From the picture above (this is not a doctored image BTW), maybe McCain is getting exhausted too or just realizing his chances in this election are slipping away.

Last nights debate was by far the most interesting. However, I still couldn't stand to sit through the entire thing. I have become more and more cynical as the election has progressed and am looking forward to the end. Part of me doesn't even care who wins and just wants it to be over--okay, that isn't the truth, I do care who wins, but I do really want it to be over.


Unfortunately, (in what I think are some fairly desperate and ridiculous attempts by McCain to gain some points in the polls) the presidential election has turned pretty petty and ugly. However, nothing is as bad as the senate race in our beautiful state of Oregon. Jeff Merkley (D) and Gordon Smith (R-incumbent) have been slaughtering each other in personal attack adds for months. I am really struggling with choosing between either of them because I think that they have acted very similarly to my middle school students. It is like they are middle school girls that are passing notes and writing on the bathroom stalls a bunch of elaborated rumors about each other. It is pitiful and a poor example for the youth of America.

Luckily, only 18 more days.

2 comments:

Em said...

we feel the same way. last night during the debate we decided that we really don't want either to win. blah

Coop said...

I'm fatigued and I don't even have to watch it all going on in the news everyday ... though it is surprising how much coverage we do get over here in Sunny England!?