Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Long Time Due

This summer I have been spending much of my time reading the new list of books for our Battle of the Books 2008-2009. So far I have been very impressed and wanted to share a few books that I have found especially great.

FABLEHAVEN by Brandon Mull



This is the first book in a series (three have been published, two will come out in the next few years). It is an incredible book full of imagination and adventure. It follows a brother and sister who discover that their grandparents live on a magical preserve. The story is somewhat like Harry Potter in the fact that it contains these fantastical creatures, but somehow it remains relateable and the characters are extraordinary. It might help that the author is a graduate of BYU :) The other two books are also outstanding and it is a great series that I would recommend to anyone. The author has another book out, THE CANDY SHOP WAR, which I am currently reading which is also excellent. Good stuff.

THE PENDERWICKS ON GARDAM STREET by Jeanne Birdsall



This is the second book about the Penderwick family. The first won the National Book Award for youth fiction. I loved both books. They are pretty simple books that are reminiscent of The Boxcar Children series or television shows from the 50s or 60s like The Donna Reed Show or Leave it to Beaver. It centers around a family of four girls, whose mother died of cancer, and their adventures. They are quick reads, well-written, and a beautiful portrayal of a close family that rely on each other. I really enjoyed the first book, but think that the second might be even better.

There is nothing better than having a great book to read. So take advantage of these last few weeks of warmth and sun and dive into a great book, I know that I will. If you have read something great this summer, leave a comment and I would love to check it out.

No comments: