Saturday, April 5, 2008

Do you know who you are?


"You are the son of..." James Fuller.

I missed being with my dad tonight. When I lived in Utah, we (myself, my dad, my brother, and occasionally a brother in law or two) had made quite a tradition of attending the priesthood session of conference in the conference center. Tonight I attended at my stake center in Eugene with a friend from our ward. It was a great session, but as I looked around the chapel, seeing fathers and sons listening to our new prophet together, I was struck with extreme longing for one more chance to share in this great spirit of brotherhood with my dad.

My dad is a pretty incredible person. He has always been loved and admired by nearly everyone in his life. My friends would often come over and end up talking to him upstairs (as I sat annoyed downstairs--at the time I found this completely obnoxious, but looking back find it an endearing quality about my father). He is a high school teacher, and a very good one at that. He has inspired many to achieve great things. Including me.

Even though I had my father as a teacher, a bishop, a coach (for a very short period of time--just wanted to make sure that everyone still knew that I continue to hold a grudge about that fact :), it was when I was thousands of miles away from my father that I felt his inspiration nearly every day. As a missionary for my church in Paris, France, I often relied upon my dad and his testimony to strengthen me during rough times. I looked forward to his weekly letters and carried them with me in my backpack. I would pull them out on buses or trains and my vigor for missionary work would be strengthened. I wanted to make him proud of me.

Now, I am a teacher myself. As much as I tried to avoid a career in education (partly in an effort to be different than my dad and partly from greed for a larger salary), I finally accepted it and now it consumes my life. My father has set the standard for what I want to accomplish in my classroom. I hope to one day inspire students in a way that I am sure my father continues to do.

Finally, I am amazed at the memories that I have of spending time with my father. He was an incredibly busy man when I was growing up (and still is). He worked two full-time jobs, always had a demanding church calling, and coached two or three sports during the school year. However, I have many fond memories of working outside with my dad, going on random fishing trips, riding in the big white van to some recreational event, sitting at Brigham City Hall in the recreation department office, and receiving priesthood blessings at the beginning of each school year. I can not explain to you how much my father means to me. I respect him for the amazing life that he has led. I admire him for his wisdom and spiritual strength. I love him with all of my heart. Thanks dad.

5 comments:

Brittany and Steve Macbeth said...

You write so beautifully, your words always come across just right!! I second all you have said about our wonderful father (excluding the priesthood session stuff). And just so you know, I am positive that you inspire students already. You inspire me, no joke! You would be surprised how often I brag about you to people who don't even know you! Love you!

Lis said...

You're not kidding that you got that talent from your dad. You were born to teach and make the world right for teenagers, and they are so lucky to have you.

Jim & Marilyn said...

I am so proud of the man you have become. You express your feelings so well. I know you have a great dad and he taught you well, but you had to choose who you would be. You did a great job. People are lucky to have you as a friend, teacher, leader, and representative of Lord.
You chose well in a wife and have great kids. This mom is proud.

Aimee & Brennen Fuller said...

As much as I love my new tradition of going to priesthood session with Grandpa, every year I wish I was in Salt Lake with you and Dad. There's not much better in life then spending time with two people I have always looked up to. Plus, training table is always awesome!

Unknown said...

You really do inpsire your students. A lot of us remember you, and miss you. You actually helped us believe we could do something that mattered, and many people still say you're their favorite teacher. You're talented at teaching and you're not giving yourself enough credit.