Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Does anyone else feel like you are watching history in the making?



Throughout the past year, I have struggled with deciding between the myriad of candidates running for president. I have conflicting feelings. Growing up in Utah, I feel like I have been indoctrinated into thinking that the Republicans are right. Being a member of the LDS church, I feel like I should show my support for an LDS candidate that actually has a somewhat legitimate shot at being in the White House. Although I despise Mrs. Clinton, I do recognize this moment as one that might not happen again for a very long time--seeing a woman as the leader of our country (granted, this is not even remotely close enough of a motivator to vote for her). Throughout all of this, there has been one man that has inspired me. After reading his book, The Audacity of Hope, I fell for Obama's love for our country and for the way that his words motivate me to be a better American. After watching his win in Iowa and listening to his speech, I really felt that I was watching history being made.

I often have my students read primary sources in the 8th grade US History class that I teach. We read great speeches made by Abraham Lincoln, MLK Jr, JFK.....I felt like this speech could be up there. I can imagine that future generations might be studying the speeches from a Mrs. Clinton or Mr. Obama. Are these reminiscent of the Lincoln-Douglas debates? All I know is that I am grateful to have a candidate that inspires change in America's citizens. It is refreshing to hear someone so eloquently speak about our great country and the hope that he has for America. I don't agree with some of his policies (health care, merit pay for teachers....), but I can't help but get caught up in a renewed sense of hope about the greatness of this country.

3 comments:

Jim & Marilyn said...

You have such a way with the way your write things. I hope you realize this.

Great having time with just your family alone. We love you all,
Mom

mindi said...

I DO! i am still struggling to decide who i will vote for, but have also decided AGAINST hillary. i feel that we are lucky this time around because we have many very strong candidates.

Lis said...

Yes. I hadn't yet thought about it in context of the history you mentioned. I don't know how it happened that we ended up with a woman, an African-American, and Mormon as actual serious contenders. It's the most interesting race in my voting memory, and though the above three characteristics are certainly part of the story, they're not THE story, which says something happy/sad about the state of our country. Whoever wins is going to have a serious burden on their shoulders.